Thursday, April 5, 2007

No One Ever Cared for Me Like Jesus

I would love to tell you what I think of Jesus, since I've found in him a friend so strong and true. I would tell you how he's changed my life completely, He's done something that no other friend could do.
No one ever cared for me like Jesus, there's no other friend so kind as He. No one else could take this sin and darkness form me, O how much he cares for me.


Recently I have had impressed upon my heart how important to our spiritual well being the hymns we sing are. Around Christmas time our pastor asked us to pretend that we were in an underground church that had limited printing abilities. He encouraged us to choose one or two hymns and to really think about why those songs are important enough to preserve and how they would encourage an oppressed body. The next Wednesday evening was like a testimony time only each person would talk about the hymn they chose and why. There were very few dry eyes in the auditorium that night. It seems to me that our hardened hearts are often softened and pierced by the words that hymn writers have written sometimes hundreds of years ago.
If you have been keeping up with Ellie's condition on Sarah's blog you have seen many instances when the Lord has used hymns and praise songs to encourage Sarah and calm Ellie. I myself am so blessed when I sit down at the piano and begin to just flip pages and play. Often I am so overwhelmed by God's grace and love, that I have to stop playing and get a tissue to "wipe my weeping eyes".
As a teacher I have begun to notice that a lot of Christian young people are not familiar with many, many of the songs that I can sing form memory. I have also found though, that when we teach these same songs to them so that the words are familiar, they become favorites for the children as well. So I guess my thought for to day is... SING those hymns for your self as well as those around you. TEACH the hymns to your children or those you work with, and ENJOY the hymns as they draw you closer to your Savior in worship.

No comments: